The Howard County Health Department provides a variety of Men’s Health Services to include various confidential and preventative health care for men and adolescents. Most clinics, screenings and prevention are based on a sliding fee scale and are available by appointment.
Most programs provide services to both men & women and are not gender specific.
- Free colonoscopies if you meet program qualifications
- Free smoking cessation classes with medications and physician consultation
- Referrals to programs for diagnostic workup of a breast problem identified by a provider if program requirements are met
Although we do not offer prostate cancer screening, we do offer educational presentations and materials in the community and refer men to available services. We also work closely with other community groups and the hospital to host specific events for men.
Contraception – FREE condoms available at all Health Centers and the Administrative Offices.
Options Program – A support group for pre and parenting teens and young adults. Program meets at the North Laurel Community Health Center. Call 410-313-0630 for more information.
The program addresses:
• Baby-proofing the home
• Infant/toddler development
• Nurturing routines
• Stress/anger management
It connects young parents with:
HIV Counseling and Testing Services: 410-313-7500
• HIV / AIDS Education and Prevention
• Testing for HIV (Anonymous & Confidential)
• HIV Counseling and Testing Services
• Case Management / Client Advocacy
• HIV / AIDS Clinical Services
Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Services: 410-313-7500
Testing Services for:
Treatment Services for:
Pre-Teen/Adolescent Immunizations: 410-313-7500
CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend that pre-teens get several vaccines at their 11 or 12-year-old check-up.
• Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap)
• Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4)
• Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine
• Guardisil (Available to boys and girls – recommended for ages ages 9-26)
Substance Abuse Services
The Health Department's Bureau of Substance Abuse Services is the only publicly funded prevention and integrated treatment (substance abuse and mental health) program in Howard County.
Care for Adults and Adolescents: 410-313-6202
• Early Intervention - For those who are not substance dependent but have displayed some warning signs or problematic use.
• Outpatient - Groups and individual counseling are available for those with an identified drug or alcohol problem
• Intensive Outpatient - Support for patients needing more intensive help to stay clean and sober (9 or more hours per week)
• Halfway House - For adult men who have completed a phase of treatment, are stable and in need of housing that supports a sober life style with continuing care.
Recommended Health Screenings for Men
The U.S. Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF) the Nation’s leading source of recommendations and guidelines for screening tests, recommends the following for men:
• Regular Check-Ups
• Testicular Exams
• Cholesterol Testing
• Prostate Screenings
• Colon Cancer Exams
• Blood Pressure
• Aortic Aneurysm
• HIV Diabetes
• Dental Check-Up
• Eye Exam
• Skin Exam
For more information about these and other Men’s Health recommendations visit the USPSTF website.