The Office of Human Rights
6751 Columbia Gateway Drive, Suite 239
Columbia, MD 21046
The Howard County Office of Human Rights is an entity of the Howard County Government that seeks to eradicate discrimination, increase equal opportunity and protect and promote Human Rights in the County. The Office serves as a catalyst in fostering attitudes and beliefs among Howard County citizens which confirm that all individuals have an equal opportunity to enjoy a wholesome and productive quality of life and can pursue their lives free of discrimination.
The Office of Human Rights...
- Investigates and process complaints of unlawful discrimination in Employment, Housing, Public Accommodation, Law Enforcement and Finance (Lending Institutions).
- Resolves complaints by conference, conciliation or through mediation
- Enforces the Howard County Human Rights Law
- Conduct public hearings of issues affecting the protection and promotion of Human Rights.
- Conducts studies, surveys and publish reports.
- Recommends policies on Civil and Human Rights to the County Executive.
- Cooperates with other local, state, and federal agencies and officials to protect and promote better human relations.
- Serves as advocate to address issues involving discrimination, human relations and diversity
- Initiates and participates in outreach activities and events with governmental and community organizations.
- Serves as a liaison with the public, governmental agencies and community groups to develop educational programs, heighten public awareness of discrimination and methods of eliminating discrimination.