Plumbing permits are regulated and enforced under Title 3, Subtitle 3, Section 3.306 of the Howard County Code for the safeguarding of persons and property from unsanitary and unhealthy plumbing conditions.
PERMITTING AGENCY DEPARTMENT OF INSPECTIONS, LICENSES AND PERMITS
LICENSES AND PERMITS
3430 COURTHOUSE DRIVE
ELLICOTT CITY, MARYLAND 21043
PH (410) 313-2455
FAX (410) 313-3322
WHEN IS A PLUMBING PERMIT REQUIRED
A plumbing permit is required for the installation of:
- Plumbing systems in new construction
- Plumbing work in existing buildings
- Potable water supply and sewer systems
- FuFuel gas piping systems and fuel gas utilization equipment
HOW TO APPLY AND WHAT TO EXPECT
An application for a plumbing permit must be completed by a licensed master plumber, gasfitter, or utility contractor. Only licensed utility contractors or master plumbers may install water, sewer or storm services. Licensed gasfitters or master plumber/gasfitters may install fuel gas systems.
All permits will be reviewed for compliance with the National Standard Plumbing Code and Local Amendments. Commercial plumbing permits require plan submittals; residential plumbing permits do not.
Plumbing permits are issued in approximately 1 to 2 days.
Printed fee schedules are available at the front counter of the Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits.
TIME LIMITATION OF PLUMBING PERMIT APPLICATION
A plumbing permit application will expire in six months unless the application has been diligently prosecuted or the permit is issued. For reasonable cause, the Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits may grant an extension, not to exceed one year, if requested in writing by the applicant prior to the permit expiring. Please refer to the fee schedule for extension fees.
TIME LIMITATION OF PLUMBING PERMIT
A permit is valid for 180 days after its issuance. It will become invalid if the authorized work is not started during that time or if the authorized work is suspended or abandoned for 180 days. For reasonable cause, the Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits may grant an extension, not to exceed 180 days, if requested in writing by the applicant prior to the permit expiring. Please refer to the fee schedule for extension fees.
PERFORMING EMERGENCY WORK WITHOUT A PERMIT
A licensed master plumber or on-site utility contractor may undertake emergency work to rectify an immediate health or hazardous condition. The permitting agency must be notified of the emergency no later than the next working day.
HOMEOWNER’S RIGHT TO CONDUCT PLUMBING WORK
Permits are not required for homeowners who personally provide plumbing in their own residences in the following instances:
- For any plumbing work listed in subsections 3.305 (a) (1) and (2)of the Howard County Code; Upon the homeowner’s providing Howard County written notification describing the work to be conducted and granting permission to inspect such work, the installation, maintenance, extension, alteration, or removal of piping, a plumbing fixture, a plumbing appliance, a plumbing appurtenance, or other plumbing apparatus, except for making a final connection between the homeowner’s residence and a public or private disposal system or water supply system
- ThThe installation, alteration, repair or maintenance of exterior roof drains, gutters, downspouts and rain leaders.
Express plumbing permits are available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Express permits are only for residential work. They can be used by Master Plumbers or Gasfitters for installation/replacement of up to five plumbing fixtures. Listed below are other examples of uses for Express Permits:
- Replace or repair water and or sewer piping
- Replace gas fixtures
- Install sump pumps, laundry tray pumps, sewer ejector
- Replace water heaters, boilers and furnaces
Express plumbing permits cannot be used for commercial work or new residential construction.
WHEN TO CALL FOR AN INSPECTION
Call for an inspection upon completion of any plumbing work covered by a permit.
WHO TO CALL FOR ASSISTANCE
- Automated Inspection and Permit Request and Information
410-313-3800 (Dial-up System)
- Schedule an Inspection for Express Permits only
410-313-1840 (Inspections and Enforcement Division)
- Permit Application Information
410-313-2455 (Licenses and Permits)
- Code Compliance and Plan Review
410-313-2436 (Plan Review)
- Fax 410-313-3322
- TTY 410-313-2323
- BGE (New or Relocation of Gas or Electric Service Connections)410-850-4620, 1-800-233-1854