News & Alerts and Recalls
Health Alerts & Advisories
TOP STORY FOR THE WEEK
Who Should Get the Flu Shot?
- Everyone 6 months old and up
- It is especially important that certain people get vaccinated either because they are at high risk of having serious flu–related complications or because they live with or care for people at high risk for developing flu–related complications.
- Pregnant women
- Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old
- People 50 years of age and older
- People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
- People who live in nursing homes and other long–term care facilities
- People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
- Health care workers
- Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
- Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)
Most Effective Ways to Stay Healthy During Flu Season:
- Get your flu shot
- Cover your cough (sneeze into your elbow, into the sleeve fabric--if short sleeves then into the sleeve.
- Wash your hands
- If you are sick-STAY HOME!
Ground Beef Recall Due to E-Coli
All American Meats, Inc. Recalls Ground Beef Products Due to Possible E. Coli Thousands of pounds of ground beef shipped nationwide are being recalled by All American Meats, due to potential contamination with E. coli bacteria. About 167,427 pounds of ground beef products are affected by the recall; on the product label inside the USDA mark of inspection, they have the establishment number “EST. 20420.”
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has complete information on their website at www.fsis.gov. or CLICK HERE for specifics.
Chipotle E-Coli Outbreak
Numerous Chipotle Restaurant in the Pacific Northwest have closed their doors due to an E-Coli outbreak while the cause of the infection is investigated. At this juncture, NO cases have been reported outside or Washington State or Oregon. To read more visit Oregon.gov or CLICK HERE
Recalls & Alerts
See Full List of Recent Alerts and Recalls - Click here.
See Full List of Recent Press Releases - Click here.
Howard County Health Department
8930 Stanford Blvd. Columbia, MD 21045
Hours: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Monday through Friday